Live From Las Vegas
* Tonight is dinner at Mix, which is on top of THEHotel at Mandalay Bay. The view is incredible.
* Went for a monorail ride out here. It was running well and fairly full.
We've posted some of today's photos at Flickr:
Vegas Media Group at Flickr.
Now, I have about 60 more to upload but I'm waiting for Flickr to finish upgrading my account.
Live From The Las Vegas Strip
* The new Augustus Tower at Caesars is really coming along quickly.
* Bellagio is reconstructing the main entrance. According to workers onsite, it will include a waterfall and be done in March.
* The Bellagio Spa Tower is gorgeous. The new Via Fiore wraps around the pool to include the pastry shop with incredible chocolate fountain, the new restaurant Sensi, and several other shops. Much of the interior design points to future directions for the rest of the public areas at the hotel.
* The Bellagio/Monte Carlo tram will be running again in March. The new station will be at the back of the new Spa Tower complex.
Live From Las Vegas Update
* First off... As far as the pictures go, I had planned to upload some from the camera in my Treo. That isn't working so I will upload shots from my digital camera as soon as I stop back at The Mirage.
* The Venetian is rusting. Big surprise.
* The Forum Shops expansion has some pedestrian flow problems. People are confused about how to get to the rest of the mall. For the record, it is on the second floor but you have to walk all the way around the building.
* Next up, Bellagio Spa Tower...
Any requests? Leave comments...
Live From The Strip
* Some changes at The Mirage - the high limit slot area is walled off. I will find out what is going in there for you guys... Also, they removed one of the large columns when you enter the casino from the atrium. It opens up the room quite a bit.
* Construction on Wynn Las Vegas continues. The tower is complete as is much of the landscaping and mountain. The marquee sign is currently being installed and the LVB overpass bridges are in place.
* Trump has a small sign up for his hotel/condo project.
Welcome to Las Vegas! It is raining here right now...
This mobile blogging thing isn't totally working correctly... Specifically the images are having problems... We'll see if we can fix that later or we will post the images later in the day...
We will be covering the opening of Wynn Las Vegas from the moment we check in on May 1st, 2005. Get ready for pictures, video and a lot of text on the world's most expensive hotel!
According to Clark County building records, MGM MIRAGE plans to 'update' The Mirage with a nightclub, a larger marquee and a bridge across the lagoon. While we've known about the nightclub for a long time, the other two are new... We'll see how this plays out and I don't have a lot to say right now other than this: IF YOU RUIN THE MIRAGE LIKE TI HAS BEEN MANGLED, I WILL MAKE YOU SORRY. I'm only half kidding.
[Disclosure: The author has stock in Las Vegas Sands, Inc., the company that owns The Venetian.]
The Venetian is not a great hotel.
It is profitable. It is expensive. It is bigger than hell. It is still not a great place to stay. When I tell people this, they usually look at me like I’m insane. I guess the Las Vegas Sands marketing machine is good at what they do.
There are a bunch of reasons why I don’t like The Venetian. We’ll go through ‘em and I’ll make you a believer.