Thousands of pieces - furniture, hand-woven carpets, wall coverings, chandeliers and everything else that makes up a Las Vegas resort - were all custom-picked and either built or acquired for Encore at Wynn Las Vegas, the latest creation from a team that's been working with Steve Wynn for almost three decades.
Keep reading after the jump for more.
Encore re-unites designer Roger Thomas and architect DeRuyter Butler with outside consultants like Todd-Avery Lenahan and Lifescapes International - the team that created Wynn Las Vegas. Also in the mix is Jerry Beale who will be taking over for Roger Thomas when he leaves Wynn Design and Development mid-2009. Beale came to Wynn D&D earlier this year from Wilson and Associates, the firm notable for such projects as the Mansion at MGM Grand.
Lenahan, who also worked on several parts of Wynn Las Vegas, was responsible for Encore's room design, along with its spa areas. Thomas described him as 'the best designer working in hospitality today' and after sampling his portfolio of worldwide projects, it's easy to see why.
As we toured Encore with chief interior designer Roger Thomas, hours before it's official opening, our group of eight was treated to fascinating anecdotes about many of the little touches - the flourishes that help make a Wynn property what it is. I noted that when Thomas described his role in the process, he referred to himself as an 'author' of the resort's experiences, rather than a designer.
As usual, no expense was spared at Encore - glass is Venetian, marble from Italy and natural light is everywhere. The butterfly motif is a prominent part of the resort's design language - Thomas has loved them since his childhood.
Some of my favorite touches - both fun and beautiful things I noticed while touring the resort:
• The Wynn Diamond - 231 carets, on display most evenings at Wynn and Company Jewelers inside the Encore Esplanade.
• Botero Steak - The 'floating bar' directly inside the main entrance of the restaurant.
• Tower Suites Porte Cochere - Statue of the 'Four Mermaids'.
• Lobby Bar Sculpture of Daphne - Inspired by mythology, Thomas had this piece custom made for this space.
• Wazuzu Crystal Dragon - With the head itself weighing 800 pounds, this thing is massive and gorgeous.
• High Limit Bar Sitting Area - Nestled between Baccarat and high limit slots, a quiet place to sit and relax while still only steps from the gaming floor.
These are just a few of my favorite bits - with just over 24 hours on the Encore side of the building, I have a lot more soaking up to do, even after the detailed information from our tour.